Hibiki 12 Year Old Whiskey, 700ml
A stunning 12 year-old blend from Hibiki, some of the whisky has been part-matured in plum liqueur casks. Lovely malt from Hakushu and Yamazaki, plus some aged grain from Chita, this terrific Japanese blend picked up the top prize in its category at the World Whisky Awards 2010.
• Nose: Very fruity, with ripe oranges, apple pie, marmalade and plums (would I have still got those plums if I didn't know about the plum liqueur maturation? I'd like to hope so). Fresh honeysuckle and nougat aromas, sugared almonds, sponge cake, icing sugar. Expressive and exciting.
• Palate: Smooth as a snooker ball, with delicious fresh grain, oak tannins and delicately sherried malt. Some clove, pepper and mixed peel as the sherry comes forward. The citrus is here as well, if slightly more tart like lemon or grapefruit.
• Finish: Spices, apple peel and the last remnants of the finely-tuned grain. Nothing dominates, everything in place - the integration and balance are quite remarkable. The spices seem to build in intensity at the finale.
* 3 days processing time is required
* Delivery is unavailable from 21 to 28 Jan 2020
* Self-Collection is unavailable from 24 to 27 Jan 2020